Friday, February 27, 2009

Orange-Lime Granita



I think everyone has their favorite dessert recipe and mine is associated with citrus fruit. I used to spend lots of hours watching Food Network program on TV and my list of beloved chefs grew day by day. The inspiration of making my own punch for the cocktail parties came from one of this show. It was long time back that I developed this citrus fruit punch with slight kick of soda made me realized that this Valentine’s Day I would made granita from this extraordinary flavorful punch recipe. I love to watch the American-Italian chef Giada in Food Network show and vaguely remembered her making sorbet or granita. So I started without delay hoping that if it’s not successful as a dessert I will drink it up as punch.




It took me a while to decide which type of oranges to choose and in what quantity, but finely I committed to tangerines, naval oranges, grape fruit and some limes. I was little skeptical of the idea of spending too much time working around this recipe as it needs frequent scraping and lots of attention. As you have probably noticed, I am not a very measuring or time spending cook by nature, rather I will improvise my recipe. So it was indeed a challenge for me to make orange granita.




Granita(pronounced as grah-NEE-tah) is a close cousin of sorbet & Italian ice, though available in coarser form all over Italy. Mainly its semi frozen dessert made of fruits predominantly citrus and sugar syrup. This is can be prepared in Gelato machine or by scraping the frozen mixture manually time to time.


Orange-Lime Granita

Tangerines- 2
Naval oranges -2
Grape fruit - 1
Limes -2
Sugar – 1 ½ cups
Water – 1 cup
Limoncello liquor 1/ 4 cups



How to Make:

Combine water and sugar and bring to boil. Stir the mix constantly as long as the sugar doesn’t dissolve. Cool the simple syrup to room temperature.


Extract juice from oranges, grapefruit and limes. Combine them all together with limoncello liquor and simple syrup.



For extra texture I have used ½ of tangerine, chopped into smaller pieces and seeds removed. Try to remove the white membrane as much as possible. This is optional and can be omitted if you want to have smoother texture. Though at the end of the freezing, the small chunk of orange pieces taste like sweet hard candy into my granita.

Pour the mixture with the small chunks of oranges into a shallow or deep dish/pan and place inside the freezer.



Stir the mixture every 30-45 mins for at least 4 hrs. Depending on the scraping it will form the less or more coarser. Break up any large lumps and freeze until it is completely frozen.

Enjoy.


Hope I am not too late for the lovely FIC-Orange event hosted by Aparna of "My diverse Kitchen" blog.

6 comments:

Aparna said...

Its getting quite warm where I am and this granita is perfect for this weather.
I have to say that your pictures are very good.
Thanks for participating in FIC Orange.

chez aurora said...

lovely post and photography! I love your addition of limoncello to the granita. I just came across some recipes for flavored liqueurs ... all food for thought for the warmer weather!

Barbara

Sharmila said...

I landed here searching for malaikari ... stuck around till I finished reading every post ... and so thought of leaving a line. :-)
You have a great blog and some really great dishes .. I mean it .. coz even I too love simple cooking. :-) Great going ... looking forward to more such recipes. :-)

Ben said...

This sounds freakin' amazing. A lot of work for a drink but I bet it's good.

Sunshinemom said...

I am in love with your pictures!! I am so glad you participated in FIC orange else I might have missed you!!

SB said...

Hi,

Aprna,

Yes, even I am in desperate need of granite in this part of world (Visiting India )… well, because of your event I have designed the orange lime granita…so Thanks for hosting such a lovely event.

Chez,

Limoncello is my favorite liquor… I am great fan of liquor based punch, will be looking forward for your post on flavored liquor. And many many thanks for encouraging me from the beginning of my blog days.